With the medieval origin in the form of ‘Great Hall’ in castles, smaller dining rooms have ultimately become the norm, whether there is a special occasion or a normal mealtime. While low scale homes did not have such a room in the past, an increasing number of all types of homes today are incorporating a dining room, small and large, exclusively for eating. Formal dining areas in homes might be used rarely but dining rooms are among the daily used areas, regardless of whether it is an open area or a distinct room.
While Buying: Important Factors to Consider
While there are a few factors to consider, let us take into account three broad factors that include all the former ones. At present, there are many types of dining room sets to consider, such as transitional, extended, and counter height dining sets. However, choosing the most suitable among these requires knowledge of the dining room styles, chairs, and tables.
Choosing Gourmetly from Dining Room Sets: A Quick and Handy Guide
Dining rooms have actually become a primary social place in a home, as it is no longer looked upon as an area to enjoy feasts but also to enjoy a decent company for spending some good time. However, for this, one needs to set up a fine dining style that is much more than who are dining together and what are the specialties on the menu. This style also comes from choosing temptingly from cool dining room sets, which require some shrewdness from you in the form of analyzing a few practical considerations.
Right from the amount of space to material and functional elements, there is a lot to think when it comes to investing in dining room furniture or modern dining room sets. However, this is simplified largely through this handy buying guide.
Before Buying Dining Room Table Sets
It is unwise to buy any dining room set that looks elegant and complete. This is because before buying that promising set, you need to match it with your requirements and budget. Therefore, do not just go by the appearance; do also consider the functional and financial sides as well.
Before buying, you need to start with what you want in your dining room. This is the major factor that helps in determining almost other factors, right from size to style as well as from type of furniture to lighting scheme. In simple words, you need to answer the following queries and then reviewing them will make any design decisions much simpler:
- How often the dining room shall be used?
- Do you need a spacious area?
- What kind of meals you will be having more often, for example, three-course meals or special feasts?
- What kind of area you need: formal or casual? How well it should match with both the lifestyle and décor?
- What kind of mood you prefer?
- What is your budget?
- What type of guests shall be using the room: Age, average number, and special gourmet likes/dislikes?
- What should be the shape and size of dining room tables and chairs? Should it be in alignment with the personal movement of guests when the room is crowded?
- What should be the height of dining room chairs and tables?
Did you notice that the latter two queries are somewhat dependent upon the former ones? Well, answering these queries is likely to narrow down the list of choices you make after researching for dining room sets. For example, if you wish to use a dining room for all three meals, then you might go for a casual or relaxed style wherein the tables and chairs are made up of durable materials.
Dining Room Styles
This is exactly where you need to think whether you need a formal or informal dining area. A formal one is exclusively for special dinners or fine dining due to which it usually features a luxurious matching chair and table set, such as those made up of refined upholstery and elegant hardwood and a full dinner service including silverware crockery. Such a room may also be assisted with a striking sideboard or cabinet.
On the other hand, an informal style room is quite a relaxed area that might be designated as an open kitchen instead of being a separated conservatory. Such a style is ideal for daily use. There is no specific convention to follow and that the area needs less storage space. Such a room or area typically has benches, durable chairs and tables, and banquettes along with tableware basics.
Nevertheless, you can always use some tricks to create a versatile space for both formal and informal events. For formal occasions, you can consider embellishing the tables and chairs with flowers, candles, glassware, and tablecloths. For the casual ones, you can have fun via colored crockery and mats. When one of the two types of dining room furniture is decided, you now have to consider its look that you can give by implementing one of the following styles.
- Traditional: Features full dining suite featuring mostly rich wood furniture such as sideboards, China cabinets, and matching table and chairs, all accentuated with wall lights and chandelier of wrought iron or crystal amidst a generous space. The most common choice is rectangular, long tables with a sideboard for storage and serving platform, freestanding glass cabinets, and even a fireplace.
- Classic: Mimics a standard hotel look with perfect cutlery, crisp table linens, and ageless silhouettes. Tableware and linens are mostly in white.
- Country: Features a rustic but appealing style having matured, bleached, or painted white woods, largely pastel color neutral palettes and organic items such as rattan, ladder-back chairs and benches in wood, and cozy removable seat pads.
- Contemporary: Features smaller-scale modern dining chairs and tables suiting contemporary tastes and a sideboard. The modern dining tables are of rectangular plank style, while chairs are of bentwood as well as of rush seating. Instead of traditional chandelier in crystal, there is a modern glass chandelier.
- Modern: Reflects the most latest, forward-thinking, and most personalized setup featuring purely glass dining tables and chairs, and boundary-breaking elements. You get cool appearance, iconic designs, and vibrant brightness in terms of color and tones.
- Decorative: Is mostly for making a statement and features ornately carved woodwork, golden tableware, lavish upholstery, and chandeliers. Examples of such styles include gothic and rococo.
- Open Plan (Urban): Are trending plans for both urban and suburban houses, integrating dining rooms into kitchen and living areas. However, the challenge is the minimal space for China cabinets and sideboards but the solution is freestanding tall cabinets with glass enclosure.
Selecting Dining Room Tables
While looking for round dining room tables or modern dining tables, you should check out the following factors for taking the most suitable decision.
- Artisanship: It is essential to ensure quality for both artisanship and materials. Here, you should look for inlay mechanisms, fine woodwork, and precision of matching. In addition, the finishes need to be flawless and that the joins need to be perfect.
- Materials: Dining room tables are available in different materials such as metal, veneer, wood, glass, and marble. Of these, wood is yet the most popular choice. It is durable, versatile, and pleasing in terms of color and looks. At the same time, it can be decorative or simple as per the finish and grain in use. However, if you need a more flexible and durable choice, nothing beats veneer as thin wooden slice attached a solid panel. It is available in any kind of wooden finishing, which is another plus point.
Glass on the other hand is a modern option ideal for a sleek appearance in a small room or dense wooden home. For added strength, tempered glass is a more preferred choice. Metal is preferred for table base, when the design needs to be stylish and sleek. It can be brushed, shiny, powder-coated, or hammered and can be used along with glass, marble, or wood for enjoying vivid appearances.
Marble is also a traditional option but is a modern choice for a few set ups. Usually, most tabletops are made of marble and paired with a metal or wood base. However, the marble weighs significantly, due to which you need to consider flooring requirements for perfect fitting.
- Dimensions/Size: Detecting the right table measurements tend to make a big difference to the overall experience of your guests as well as you. A tool small table makes your guests feel restricted, while a too big one takes away that sense of oneness. For obtaining the table footprint, a general rule is to allocate 70 cm for each carver chair and 60 cm for each However, these dimensions change with your requirements as follows:
- Rectangular: 150×75 cm for 4 diners, 140x95cm for 6 diners, and 175×90 cm for 8 diners
- Square: 90×95 cm for 4 diners
- Round: 105cm in diameter for 4 people, 120cm for 6 people, 150cm for 8 people
Talking about the height of the table, the standard recommendation is 75cm although you may choose even 77cm. Similarly, recommended distance between the lowest element of tabletop and top of a diner’s legs is 19cm but is actually dependent upon the diner. You are requested to compare the dimensions of a table with chairs you need to purchase, in case you are getting them separately. Go for extendable tables if your space accepts it and if there additional guests more often. In this case and also elsewhere, do consider the leg placement around a table. This is because it can be an unpleasant experience if diners are in front of a table leg with very less scope for stretching nicely. The solution for this issue is a pedestal base instead of the conventional four-legged base.
Selecting Dining Room Chairs
Regardless of the kind of dining room chairs you prefer or are looking for, it is essential to check out the following factors for making the most suitable selection.
- Type: Well, you can choose one of the two types of chairs for dining room namely, standard (no arms) and carver (with arms). Both these types go well with rectangular, square, and oval tables. In case of a rectangular table, usually a blend of both is preferred with long sides surrounding with standard carvers at the level of table’s heads. For comfort, it is recommended choosing an upholstered, well-padded design with a durable material. For informal or country style look, a wooden ladder-back chair or bench is recommended with removable seat pads.
- Fabric: It is obvious to look for a durable fabric because the chairs are used quite frequently as well as they are close cooked foods. Just ensure that you select a whiz upholstery fabric that has passed Martindale rub test that endorses material durability. In terms of opulent quality, look for a chair with proper foam, padding, and strapping, which is designed for rendering the most comfortable experience while retaining the make and shape for years to come. While you can choose any solid wood as your chair’s fabric or material, consider beech legs for wooden makeup, as they are now most popular for their durability as well as strength.
- Dimensions/Size: Some rules of measurements also apply here for dining room chairs, just like in case of tables. The seat height for chairs is recommended as 46cm, while least depth is 45cm. Talking about the width, it is likely to vary as per the style and design (standard or carver). It is suggested to keep minimum 80cm between the wall and back of a chair, especially the pulled out one, so that you can serve safely and that the guests can pass easily. In broad sense, some of the tips are obvious to remember and follow such as no overcrowding by considering the right spacing and dimensions of chairs and table in the dining room set and avoiding additional chairs for an extendable table.